Grades: 2-6 | Duration: 60 minutes
Students will learn about the concept of language and how writing is a universal communication tool in China. Students will learn how to count in Chinese and be able to recognize the symbols for numbers by demonstration and practice. Participants create their own art with ink and brushes in conjunction with the Calligraphy lesson.
Common Core State Standards
English Language Arts Standards
- K.7 – Participate in shared research and writing projects (e.g., explore a number of books by a favorite author and express opinions about them).
- 1.7 – Participate in shared research and writing projects (e.g., explore a number of “how-to” books on a given topic and use them to write a sequence of instructions).
Speaking & Listening
- 3.1b – Follow agreed-upon rules for discussions (e.g., gaining the floor in respectful ways, listening to others with care, speaking one at a time about the topics and texts under discussion).
- 4.1b – Follow agreed-upon rules for discussions and carry out assigned roles.
- 5.1b – Follow agreed-upon rules for discussions and carry out assigned roles.
- 11-12.3 – Evaluate a speaker’s point of view, reasoning, and use of evidence and rhetoric, assessing the stance, premises, links among ideas, word choice, points of emphasis, and tone used.