The Art of Chinese Writing (7th-12th Grade)
Grades: 7-12 | Duration: 90 minutes
10-20 participants per session required
This lecture explores the quintessential art of traditional China in order to provide a vital introduction to Chinese culture, language, and aesthetics. Participants will be introduced to the history of calligraphy and the artistic features of different calligraphy styles. The lecture will guide students through a full appreciation of Chinese calligraphy and the Four Treasures of this study.
Participants will create their own Chinese calligraphy art with hands on and step-by-step instruction. All materials are provided for participant use and any art created by the participants will be available to take home.
Common Core State Standards
English Language Arts Standards
- K.7 – Participate in shared research and writing projects (e.g., explore a number of books by a favorite author and express opinions about them).
- 1.7 – Participate in shared research and writing projects (e.g., explore a number of “how-to” books on a given topic and use them to write a sequence of instructions).
Speaking & Listening
- 3.1b – Follow agreed-upon rules for discussions (e.g., gaining the floor in respectful ways, listening to others with care, speaking one at a time about the topics and texts under discussion).
- 4.1b – Follow agreed-upon rules for discussions and carry out assigned roles.
- 5.1b – Follow agreed-upon rules for discussions and carry out assigned roles.
- 11-12.3 – Evaluate a speaker’s point of view, reasoning, and use of evidence and rhetoric, assessing the stance, premises, links among ideas, word choice, points of emphasis, and tone used.