The Voyages of Zheng He
Grades: 5-9 | Duration: 90 minutes
Explore the world of the Ming Dynasty with the massive armada of Zheng He. Students will learn the reasons behind the rise and fall of Chinese maritime exploration; contrast the Ming tribute system with European colonialism and evaluate the position of scholars, merchants, and eunuchs in traditional Chinese society. They will also use their creativity to plan a voyage of their very own!
Common Core State Standards
English Language Arts Standards
Speaking & Listening
- 7.1c – Pose questions that elicit elaboration and respond to others’ questions and comments with relevant observations and ideas that bring the discussion back on topic as needed.
- 8.1c – Pose questions that connect the ideas of several speakers and respond to others’ questions and comments with relevant evidence, observations, and ideas.
Reading: Informational Text
- 6.7 – Integrate information presented in different media or formats (e.g., visually, quantitatively) as well as in words to develop a coherent understanding of a topic or issue.
- 5.3e – Provide a conclusion that follows from the narrated experiences or events.
California State Board of Education
History-Social Science Content Standards for California Public Schools
- 7.3 – Students analyze the geographic, political, economic, religious, and social structures of the civilizations of China in the Middle Ages.
- 7.3.4 – Understand the importance of both overland trade and maritime expeditions between China and other civilizations in the Mongol Ascendancy and Ming Dynasty.