Ancient Chinese Science & Technology
Grades: 2-12 | Duration: 60 minutes
Discover how ancient Chinese technology changed the world! With groundbreaking inventions such as paper, gunpowder, and the compass, China was once the global leader in technology. Students will examine the scientific principles behind a few Chinese inventions and learn how their spread revolutionized the ancient world. Participants will make their own “woodblock” prints to see how ancient Chinese printing revolutionized the spread of information.
Common Core State Standards
English Language Arts Standards
Speaking & Listening
- 2.4 – Tell a story or recount an experience with appropriate facts and relevant, descriptive details, speaking audibly in coherent sentences.
- 3.4 – Report on a topic or text, tell a story, or recount an experience with appropriate facts and relevant, descriptive details, speaking clearly at an understandable pace.
- 5.2 – Summarize a written text read aloud or information presented in diverse media and formats, including visually, quantitatively, and orally.
- 6.4 – Present claims and findings, sequencing ideas logically and using pertinent descriptions, facts, and details to accentuate main ideas or themes; use appropriate eye contact, adequate volume, and clear pronunciation.
- 9-10.2 – Integrate multiple sources of information presented in diverse media or formats (e.g., visually, quantitatively, orally) evaluating the credibility and accuracy of each source.
- 11-12.4 – Present information, findings, and supporting evidence, conveying a clear and distinct perspective, such that listeners can follow the line of reasoning, alternative or opposing perspectives are addressed, and the organization, development, substance, and style are appropriate to purpose, audience, and a range of formal and informal tasks.
- 3.8 – Recall information from experiences or gather information from print and digital sources; take brief notes on sources and sort evidence into provided categories.
- 4.2d – Use precise language and domain-specific vocabulary to inform about or explain the topic.
California State Board of Education
History-Social Science Content Standards for California Public Schools
- 6-8.7 – Integrate visual information (e.g., in charts, graphs, photographs, videos, or maps) with other information in print and digital texts.